Commerce Maturity Model
The LYONSCG Commerce Authority Score is designed to help businesses assess the health of their commerce strategy, and uncover opportunities to improve it. The assessment is conducted through a survey covering four areas:
- Business Strategy
- Customer Journey
- Digital Marketing
Your assigned consultant will review your Commerce Authority score with you, highlighting the items that could inform your businesses road map, and the action items that accompany those areas of opportunity.
1. Our company has a customer data repositoryYou Scored 0/2
It is important to understand how your customer likes to shop and where they like to spend their money. Multiple databases can be a hindrance to understanding customers habits and likely you are duplicating efforts in marketing. It would behoove the brand to move to a single customer repository.
2. Our organizational structure prioritizes the overall customer experience through all business channelsYou Scored 1/2
This is how most multi-channel retailers are organized. We see many retailers combining their marketing and merchandising teams for more cohesiveness within the marketing calendar and to bring optimal decision around assortment and inventory.
3. We have a yearly budgeting processYou Scored 2/2
You are ahead of most brands. This is considered best-in-class.
4. We have a strong understanding of who our customers areYou Scored 1/3
Both psychographic and demographic knowledge is important. Utilizing this information to segment throughout databases and marketing tactics is a great next step towards success.
5. We have a strong understanding of our competitors and the competitive landscapeYou Scored 1/2
Your Digital Marketing team and/or agency could take this a step further and create a bi-yearly rubric of your competitors features, functions, and value propositions. This will give you a clear understanding of where you outperform and underperform relative to your industry, and where you have opportunities within your sales channels.
6. We offer standard pricing and promotions across stores and channelsYou Scored 1/5
nifying pricing across all touchpoints is an essential component of delivering a consistent brand experience. Can you elaborate on the factors contributing to this discrepancy?
7. We provide customers with full visibility into both online and in-store inventoryYou Scored 1/4
Customers expect your site to provide access to the same product and availability information that your store associates have. Explore omnichannel Order Management Systems that provide robust "Available To Promise" functionality that can be integrated into your product detail pages.
8. We fulfill online Ship From Store ordersYou Scored 3/4
Great. Continue to measure and refine the program. Leverage analytics to gain deeper insight, and continually optimize against store's business objectives.
9. Our customers can return online purchases to a retail storeYou Scored 1/5
What are the major obstacles keeping you from processing these returns? Consider quick-win solutions that don't require cross-channel integration to facilitate returns in the short-term. At the very least, processing these returns with a refund via in-store credit should be implemented.
10. We offer Buy Online, Pickup In Store (BOPIS) functionality to shoppersYou Scored 4/5
Continue to measure and refine this program. Establish SLAs for store fulfillment. Use text messaging to notify customers when their orders are ready to be picked up. This will drive additional in-store purchases. Also, allowing the customer to designate another individual to pick up their order on their behalf is a great way to boost loyalty.
11. We leverage Endless Aisle / mobile Point-of-Sale solutionsYou Scored 2/4
Excellent! Focus on tracking and reporting this program, and align incentives for store associates to drive them to offer this option to your customers
12. Our customer experience is optimized for mobile usersYou Scored 3/4
How have these enhanced features been performing relative to your expectations? Have you seen increases in conversion since implementing these changes?
13. We segment our loyalty program customers based upon tier of engagementYou Scored 2/2
This is considered best-in-class. You are targeting loyalty customers based on not only spending but a customer's engagement with your brand. To continue to move the needle, you will need to focus on fine-tuning your program. This means prioritizing testing within messaging and offers. A testing plan should be built out internally, or you can leverage a vendor to build a blueprint on your behalf.
14. We email to defined segmentsYou Scored 2/2
already have site behavior and past purchase data you actively segment upon, then your next step is to identify any remaining gaps in your email data profiles. For instance, are there any brand-specific engagements (such as customization or wishlist engagement) that would be beneficial to target? Beyond rounding out your data profile for segmentation, you are now in the "test and learn" phase. Make sure you have a strong testing plan in place to validate your current segmentation and confirm assumptions.
15. Our email platform is integrated into multiple systemsYou Scored 2/2
You have a best-in-class view of your customer. If you have reviewed all data attributes and there are no gaps (e.g. unified view across store and web), then the next step is to make sure you have a solid plan to use your data. This includes triggered sends, segmentation, and content relevancy.
16. We have an active paid media programYou Scored 1/2
A robust media program is vital for brands looking to acquire new customers and retain existing customers. Paid channels should be driving significant percentages of traffic and revenue. If they are not, prioritize areas for potential expansion, and track results to determine what to do next.
17. Our analytics program is integrated completely with our customer and marketing dataYou Scored 2/2
There are immediate optimization opportunities after completing your attribution infrastructure that may have been missed. Subsequent insights can be uncovered by testing changes in marketing tactics and observing the results on your attribution models. Ensure that any new marketing tactic is included as an input within your model.
18. Our site is ADA compliantYou Scored 2/2
You are ahead of most brands. This is considered best-in-class.
19. We are utilizing the latest version of our eCommerce platform and its associated functionalityYou Scored 1/2
To improve the user experience, you may want to institute some A/B testing to qualify your statements that the user experience is positive, and analyze your data to verify how users are reacting to the user experience.
What are the most critical customer experience challenges your business requires assistance for?